Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Positive-Bent Blogging

I just ran the A Pilgrim's Progress numbers for the past couple of months. In November and December, I have posted 85 times. Some of the posts have been extensive essays, while others have been little more than links to other blogs, webpages, etc.

Of the 85 posts, 56 of them lean toward the positive. In other words, they have a positive feel to them. The other 29 posts leaned toward the negative. This does not mean that I was being mean or nasty; it just means that the tone of those 29 posts was negative.

Those numbers are not quite where I think they need to be. As a follower of Jesus Christ, I want this blog to lean more heavily to the positive. There are plenty of other non-Christian writers out there with a lot of negative things to write about. If anyone has anything positive and substantial to say, it should be Christian bloggers.

This is not "pie-in-the-sky" naiveté. There are certainly some issues that need to be addressed that will necessarily (if we look at the issue or situation from a biblical perspective) have a negative tone. Whenever we deal with sin, for example, this happens.

My goal from this point forward is to have at least a 2-to-1 ratio of positive to negative blog posts. Since the beginning of November I've been just under this goal. I'm going to strive to move up a few percentage points.

Christian blogs should be edifying to Christian readers. They should be challenging to non-Christian readers. They should speak the truth in love to all. I believe this is done most effectively by presenting a largely positive blogging atmosphere.

My goal from here forward is more positive-bent blogging.

4 comments:

Aussie John said...

Eric,

Quite often negative IS positive!

Eric said...

John,

Sometimes that is true; however, I don't want the majority of the blog to be that way. There are enough blogs that lean very much toward the negative.

Unknown said...

Every two negatives equal a positive, right?

Seriously, I enjoy reading your blog, negative or positive. Always very thoughtful.

Eric said...

Mary,

Thanks! Blogging is a good way for me to synthesize my thoughts. Hearing comments from others also lets me know whether or not I am on the right track. Thanks for reading.

God bless, Eric