Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Just Finished the ISV

For the last few months I have been reading through the International Standard Version (ISV) New Testament during my devotional time. I just completed it a few days ago.

Reading through the ISV was enjoyable. The reason for this is that it is very readable. The language is not cumbersome whatsoever. This may sound strange, but at times it almost seemed too easy to read. I suppose this is because I am used to reading translations that, quite frankly, aren't that readable. The ISV, for example, succeeds where versions like the NASB do not.

In my opinion, the best aspect of the ISV is the way the poetry/sayings have been translated. The translators did an excellent job trying to keep it sounding like, well, poetry. This is the rendering of I Timothy 3:16 in the ISV:

"In flesh was he revealed to sight,
kept righteous by the Spirit's might,
adored by angels singing.
To nations was he manifest,
believing souls found peace and rest,
our Lord in heaven reigning!"

Although the ESV remains my preferred version, I will definitely be consulting my ISV during bible study. I encourage you to pick up a copy.

No comments: