Monday, November 1, 2010

A Sweet Good-Bye

Yesterday was my final day serving as pastor for Chevis Oaks Baptist Church. It was a nice day and a sweet good-bye.

I guess the best descriptor for the day is "bittersweet." On the one hand, Alice and I are excited to be doing what we believe God wants us to do. On the other hand, we will obviously miss our friends at Chevis Oaks. Of course, it's not as if we died. We will continue to be friends with these sweet people. When we can we will return to visit. Additionally, since we still live in the area, we will see our friends in the normal happenings of life.

I'm thankful to the Lord for giving me the opportunity to complete preaching through the book of Matthew yesterday. I focused on taking joy in the resurrected Christ. It's interesting in chapter 28 that when Jesus sees Mary He commands (present tense) her to "Rejoice!" This is a proper Christian response to life in Christ.

After the service, we had a big meal. It was nice to hug and be hugged. We had time to talk with many people and say "good-bye" - at least from the perspective of me being pastor here.

Today I've officially entered the world of the unemployed. I'd appreciate your prayers about that.

As for church life in general, if you are a follower of Jesus Christ, then we are a part of the church together. If I see you, let's encourage and edify each other.

As for church gatherings, Alice and I are going to take a few weeks off. Next Sunday we'll probably just meet as a family. The following week I'll be on a scout campout with Bobby. After that we're still not certain. Eventually, we're going to begin gathering in our home with other believers. We are looking forward to that.

Our hope is in Jesus Christ and Him alone.

8 comments:

Aussie John said...

Eric,

Am praying for you and yours, especially in the days immediately ahead.

Eric said...

John,

Thank you so much. Please pray that we will keep our eyes fixed on Christ during this trying time. I like to think that my faith is strong, but the reality is that it isn't always so. Praise the Lord for His grace!

Alan Knox said...

Eric,

You know that I'm praying for you and your family.

You said, "As for church gatherings, Alice and I are going to take a few weeks off. Next Sunday we'll probably..."

What about next Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday...?

-Alan

Eric said...

Alan,

Thank you so much. I hope you had a good time/are having a good time in D.C.

As for church, I thought you might say something like that. We'll never take time off from being the church. However, as far as specific gatherings with groups of people are concerned in our house, we'll probably take some time off. However, the Lord may cause something else to happen. So, in the end, who knows?

Al Shaw said...

Fascinated to come across your blog.

Am on a similar journey as a former salaried church leader.

Look forward to following and interacting.

Eric said...

Al,

I'm looking forward to the dialog. It certainly is a challenging and interesting journey.

Mark said...

Eric,

I have come to belief that my faith fails only when I quit standing. If you believe He has called you to your current "place", and you believe He will supply your need, and you continue to seek after Him, and His kingdom (which I see you doing), He will supply! I am in a somewhat similar position, where I have given up hours at my paid job to devote more time to my kingdom job (having started my own medical clinic), which is as yet unpaid, because I felt that was His instruction. We don't know where the dailies will come from, but we continue to seek His kingdom and not focus on the natural, and He will provide. I say mildly similar as the step you have taken is likely a greater leap than the step I have taken, but the concepts are the same. I continue to pray for you, and know that our God will provide. Matthew 6:26 still speaks to me, as I believe we've discussed in the past.

Mark

Eric said...

Mark,

Thank you! I rest in Matthew 6 quite a bit these days.