Saturday, November 6, 2010

An Attitude of Intentional Edification

Most of us will gather with our church families either tonight or sometime tomorrow. As we do this, what should we take with us?

I believe the answer is an attitude of intentional edification. We should arrive at the gathering with the goal of building up one another in Christ through both what we do and what we say.

The specifics of what we do probably matter less than the goal itself (edification).

For example, I Corinthians 14:26 says, "What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up." We see mentioned here some of the things that are acceptable to bring to the gathering. Surely there are others (for example prayer). It is important to notice that whatever we bring, it is to be with the purpose of helping others mature in their relationships with Jesus Christ.

In Hebrews 10:24-25, we read, "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." In the context of the church gathering, we should encourage one another to lives of love and good works. This is an example of what we can do to edify our brothers and sisters.

Ephesians 4:29 is a good reminder for us. Paul writes, "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." In every area of our lives, we are to only speak words that build up, or edify. This certainly applies to church gatherings, whether more formal or less formal.

So as you gather today, tomorrow, or some other time, purpose to take specific things with you such as a teaching, a psalm, a hymn, a prayer, a word of exhortation, a word of encouragement, a word of confession, a tongue (yes, I wrote that), a revelation, a word of prophecy, etc.

Whatever you bring, plan to participate by doing things that build up your brothers and sisters in Christ.

God receives worship He enjoys when we focus on the good of others. Let that be our goal as we come together.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Eric, for now I know what to "take" to church tomorrow. Please keep your blog going, for you are an inspiration to me. love in Christ Jesus or LORD

Eric said...

Patricia,

Thanks for your kind words and for the encouragement. In the midst of the busyness of life, sometimes we forget what is most important. Paul makes it clear - at least for church family gatherings. Edification is the key. Let's all try to build one another up!

Aussie John said...

Eric,

"intentional edification"! I really like that thought!

blair nicole said...

I was surfing the web, looking at articles about God and suffering, and stumbled upon your blog. I came to the conclusion that you are awesome. Yay for people who love Jesus and John Calvin!

Jeffrey said...

Thanks for the reminder. Good words brother.

Eric said...

John,

Thanks.

If our default tends to be to sit back and focus on self, then we need to be intentional about looking to the building up of others. If I'm not intentional, I doubt I'll look to others first.

Eric said...

Blair,

Thank you!

I don't know if I'd agree with you about me being awesome, but I know one who is - Jesus Christ. Like Paul says in Phil. 3, Christ should be our focus and desire in life. What a joy it is to know Jesus!

Eric said...

Jeff,

Thanks brother.

These are words that I hope I can carry out for the good of the body of Christ.

Jessica said...

AWWW Eric, I know that Alice thinks you're prwtty awesome too :) oh yeah Bobby and I think you're the bee's knees too :D btw Bobby told me about ya'lls convo on the phone and ftr I will gladly lick envelopes :)

Eric said...

Jessica,

If we mailed them would we get any response? It might be fun just to find out.