Friday, January 8, 2010

Target Buddha

We were walking through Target last night looking for something to buy with a Christmas gift card. As I strolled down a random aisle, I ran into the Buddha. That's him above (I placed the candle in his hands so he would look complete). Of course, he didn't respond because idols don't do that.

This was another reminder to me that our culture is rapidly changing. Even right here in the bible belt, people are embracing other religions. Additionally, people of non-Christian religious backgrounds continue to move to the area.

What is fascinating to me is that the above sight - Buddha in Target - is becoming increasingly normal. This statue was sitting on a shelf in a main aisle of the store and no one else even seemed to notice. This speaks to the pluralistic society in which we live.

In case you are wondering, I didn't buy the Buddha.

The Buddha was, however, was a good reminder to me that we don't have to travel thousands of miles to find people of other religions (although that is certainly important). They are right here - and they are in desperate need of Jesus Christ. Let's love them, serve them, and show them our glorious Lord.

We're not in Kansas anymore.

No comments: