Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolved...

There are probably about 10,000 posts in the Christian blog-o-sphere with this same name today. Oh well.

This coming Sunday I'll be preaching on Philippians 3:12-14. I am resolved to the best of my ability (which is a gift of God anyway) to live out this passage during the coming year. Paul speaks clearly of his desire to know Christ more closely each day.

Paul writes:

Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Paul tells us 5 key things about his desire to know Christ more fully and live in a more Christlike manner:

1. We must admit that we have not attained Christlikeness.

2. We must forget the past and look to the future.

3. We must have a singular focus.

4. We must press, strain, struggle, and work hard for Christlikeness.

5. We must believe that this is what God intends for us.

Philippians 3:12-14 is both a challenging and encouraging passage. Paul, who served the Lord faithfully, correctly realized his desperate need for the Lord. Despite his earthly accomplishments, Paul cared nothing for those things in comparison to his desire for Christ.

As Christ-followers, we should always be drawing closer to Jesus. Let's resolve to have Paul's attitude by striving for Christ.

No comments: