Sunday, January 24, 2010

Responses to Reading Matthew Together

As our church family gathered this Sunday morning, I was happy that I only heard positive responses about our reading through Matthew together. Several people told me that they enjoyed it a great deal. A few people told me that they didn't realize where certain well-known verses came from (they were talking about context). One lady even specifically asked me when we would read another book together.

This is all very encouraging to me. I really did not know what to expect going into yesterday. With our electronic culture destroying people's attention spans, I was more than a little concerned that at least some of our people would sort of fade out mentally as we progressed. Amazingly (and by the grace of God), that did not happen.

I am convinced that God intervened to honor the reading of His word.

It is difficult to express what it was like as we read. I sensed God's presence with us in what seemed like a tangible way. As we read, nearly everyone seemed mentally locked-in to the biblical story.

I don't know what we will read next or when we will read it. I do know, however, that it will be a positive experience.

No comments: