Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Three Questions for Atheistic Evolutionists

I realize that not many atheistic evolutionists read this blog. Despite this, I still want to ask a few questions. In doing this, I'm differentiating between atheistic evolutionists and theistic evolutionists. Although I strongly disagree with theistic evolution, I also believe that a person can be a theist (and even a Christian) and hold this position.

Now to the three questions. These are, I believe, fair questions that need to be answered by atheistic evolutionists. Frankly, I'm curious. So here they are:

1. Does your life have meaning?

2. If you answered "Yes" to question number one, why?

3. If you answered question number two with something like, "Because I give it meaning," would you please elaborate on that?

I'm asking these questions because atheistic evolutionists are becoming an increasingly loud minority voice in our society (especially on secular university campuses). If people are going to hold this position, then they need to answer some significant philosophical questions.

It strikes me that the logical outcome of holding an atheistic evolutionary position is one of utter despair. If life began as a cosmic mistake, and we are simply part of that, then that means that my life personally is a mistake. Therefore, it holds no inherent meaning. If life has no meaning, then what is there to live for?

No comments: