Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God"

(UPDATE: Buy it cheaper here.)

I like to think, but I'm not sure how much time I actually spend thinking about my thinking. This is what John Piper challenges us all to do in Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God.

Piper is correct that the use of the mind is directly related to both what we think about God and what we feel for God. He encourages us to think in such a way that honors God by causing us to cherish Him more deeply.

This book is somewhat philosophical in nature. The reason for this is that a good deal of it is thinking about thinking. This may sound dull, but it really isn't. Piper spends a great deal of time using scripture to make his points. Because of this, the book has direct application to how we live and think every moment of the day.

I've read about 25 or so of Piper's books. Quite honestly, some of them have seemed a little redundant. I don't need to read another book about how "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." I love that truth; I just don't want to read it another time. The good thing about Think is that it is unique among what Piper has written so far. I don't recall any other book of his that focuses so much on the mind. Because of this, I recommend this book.

No comments: