Monday, June 14, 2010

The Power of Encouragement

Yesterday I received the following note from a sweet lady in our church family:

Thank you for everything you do. Your willingness to do for others stands out, and it encourages me to do more things, too. You are a wonderful pastor and follow God with all your heart. Thank you so much!

This is such an encouragement to me. Although I may not agree with everything she says in the note (after all, we all know our own faults better than others do), I greatly appreciate the thought and time that went into this. She didn't have to do it. We do not know one another particularly well. Despite this, she went out of her way to encourage me.

Her note reminds me of what Paul writes in Ephesians 4:29, "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

This note did what Paul says - it imparted grace to me.

This is a good reminder to me of the power of encouragement. Let's face it: life can be difficult and discouraging. It is wonderful to hear and/or read words that counteract that.

We underestimate the power of words. Words can be devastating. However, they can also be transforming, convicting, and encouraging. Let us be people of encouragement.

No comments: