Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Key to a Wedding - Don't be Remembered

This past Saturday I performed my first wedding. I'm not sure who was more nervous - the groom, the bride, or me.

Weddings are so special that I did not want to do anything that would mess it up. For example, I didn't want to ask the groom if he wanted to take a husband. I also didn't want to forget something critical like the vows or rings.

My prayer, quite literally, was that God would be glorified, that it would be enjoyable for the bride and groom, and that I wouldn't mess-up big time.

Praise the Lord for answered prayers. We made it through the entire service without any gaffs. I felt as if my voice sounded nervous, but no one could tell (so I'm told). Afterward, many people told me they thought it was a beautiful service.

The best thing I was told was that God's message about marriage came through loud and clear. This pleases me, and was my intent as the homily came from Genesis 2:24. Later, one person even told me that he had never heard Genesis 2:24 explained before.

Afterward, I came to the realization that if I perform a wedding, my main goal should be to not be remembered. Three people should be remembered as people think back on the wedding. They are the three that make up the marriage: God, man, and woman.

I achieved that lofty goal only by the grace of God. I'm thankful to be remembered by no one as long as God is remembered by everyone. Actually, that would be a good motto for all of us to follow as we seek to glorify God in our lives.

No comments: