Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Great Baptism Quote


This past Sunday I had the opportunity to baptize two young men. One was age ten; the other was only seven. Out of personal conviction, I do not normally baptize anyone under ten. However, both these boys understand both salvation and baptism.

Prior to baptizing the seven-year-old, I asked him about sin, Jesus, and salvation. He understands these concepts. I then asked him about baptism (he actually gave his life to Christ about six months ago, and has wanted to be baptized since that time). Specifically, I asked why he wanted to be baptized.

I was determined that if he did not give me a solid answer, I would not be able, in good conscience, to baptize him. The answer I received from him was a wonderful and simple answer all at the same time.

This young man replied to me, "I want everyone to know I'm saved." He understands that baptism is a public statement about the inward change God has made in him.

I love the way children see Jesus. They view him in such simple and pure terms.

It reminds me of Mark 10:13-16 -- And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them.

No comments: