Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Missions in I Thessalonians

What does Paul have to say to us about world missions in his first letter to the Thessalonians? Specifically, what is the most important thing the apostle has to say? What is the key verse or passage?

(To read the first post in this series, please click here.)

I believe the most critical missions-centered verse for us in this letter is 1:8. Paul writes, "For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything."

This verse is extremely important because it answers a very crucial question for us. That question is, "Does the Great Commission apply to us?"

Some well-meaning Christians believe that the Great Commission (See Matt. 28:18-20, Luke 24:44-49, Acts 1:8) only applied to the original disciples. Paul's statement in I Thessalonians 1:8 tells us otherwise.

I wrote about this topic in some detail a few months ago. In order to avoid redundancy, I'll simply link to my post entitled The Great Commission: To Whom Does It Apply? I encourage you to read it, and then comment back here.

To read any of my posts in this series, please click here.

No comments: