Thursday, December 24, 2009

Words to Live By...

After we come to know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, how are we to live this Christian life?

How does my own effort in living a holy life interact with my reliance on the power of the Holy Spirit to enable me to live this way?

If I rely on God's sovereignty, how much am I responsible for? If I work hard, is this an insult to God or is it pleasing to Him?

These are healthy questions for all of us to ask as we strive to honor God in all of life. We can be thankful that God has answered the above questions in a succinct manner in several different locations.

My favorite passage that answers the above questions is Philippians 2:12-13. Paul has just shown us, in the Christ Hymn of 2:5-11, the ultimate example of humility. Immediately after this, in 2:12-13, Paul instructs us to humbly work hard for God while relying on God to accomplish His perfect desires.

Paul writes:

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (ESV)

"Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (NKJV)

It is clear that we are to "work out" our salvation. This does not mean that we work for our salvation. It means that after we are saved we have hard work to do in the process of sanctification. We are to accomplish this with a humble attitude in the presence of holy God ("fear and trembling"). James speaks much about this issue when he discusses the connection between faith and works.

The great blessing for us is that even our ability to work hard in sanctification is a gift of God. We see in these verses that it is actually God who works in us to accomplish what He desires. It is encouraging that He does this for His own pleasure.

So what does this look like in real life? Rather simply, as we trust God to accomplish what He wants and as we rely on His power and strength, we are to live holy lives in loving service to other people.

The twin truths of relying on God's power and putting forth our own effort do not conflict in the process of sanctification. Rather, they go hand-in-hand.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Thats good preaching brother. So many people these days believe they can work their way in. I'm sure you got in the same way I did, by the BLOOD. As James said, faith without works is dead, being alone.
I spoke to you the other day on your blog about this young man that I talked with, and he also believes that, it is up to him to keep his salvation, he believes you can lose it, and if it were up to me,( but its not)I could lose it, b/c I lose a lot of things.
I believe, once saved, always saved, if you were truly saved at all. I would hate to go through this life not knowing.
I've always tried to do the things that God has ask me to do, and believe me, I fall way short of the things that I should be doing.
May God bless you and Merry Christmas to you and your family

Eric said...

Steve,

Merry Christmas to you as well!

It is a great thing to believe that we are eternally secure. It gives wonderful peace. Most importantly, it's biblical.