Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Nice Surprise

My phone rang at about 9:45 this morning. That was not the surprise.

A woman on the other end asked me if I could lead a bible study with a group of senior citizens this morning. That was the surprise.

I was a bit intimidated because I did not have much time to prepare, I barely knew where I was going, and I had never met any of the people before. Even the lady who called me (she works at the local senior center) was someone I didn't know. She had found out about me from another pastor.

It turned out to be a great experience. I decided to speak about what I'll be preaching about this Sunday: God's plan for His Servant (Jesus Christ) to be a light of salvation to the end of the earth. The seniors were receptive, kind, and fun. We had a good discussion of various issues related to the gospel and missions. I very much enjoyed talking about our time living in India.

The seniors' love for Jesus was palpable. We left our denominational differences at the door and enjoyed talking about how wonderful Jesus is. He was the focus of our encouraging conversation.

I thank the Lord for this surprise. I didn't expect it, and I certainly didn't deserve it.

Seniors are an often overlooked treasure in our church families.

No comments: