Monday, March 9, 2009

Why am I Preaching on Matthew 5:10-12 next Sunday?

Why am I preaching on Matthew 5:10-12 next Sunday?

The answer to this question is quite simple. The answer is that this past Sunday I preached on Matthew 5:8 in the morning and Matthew 5:9 in the evening. By preaching through books of the bible, we as a church will hear all that God has to say in Matthew. It forces us, whether we want to or not, to hear the whole counsel of God's word. It also keeps me from preaching on only those topics that I enjoy the most or feel most comfortable with.

Additionally, studying through books of the bible gives us all a sense of how God crafted His word in shape and theme. My hope is that over time we (myself included) will all come to know God much more intimately through going book-by book. This should work itself out in our loving and serving both God and neighbor.

4 comments:

Alan Knox said...

Eric,

I also find value in studying through books. I know that it has been difficult, at times, to keep the message of the whole book in view when looking at a small part of it. Sometimes a sentence can be taken out of context when the whole is not kept in view.

What are your thoughts on studying an entire book at one time instead of bits and pieces?

-Alan

Eric said...

Alan,

It is a great challenge to keep the entire book in mind regardless of whether I am preaching a text or listening to it.

Each Sunday, I try to take a few minutes to remind the church body of the general picture and/or themes of the book of Matthew. This takes time, but I think it is necessary.

I like the idea of teaching an entire book, but this would be very difficult for a lengthy book such as a gospel. Personally, I would struggle a great deal to get into great depth if I tried to teach all of Matthew in one or two sittings.

As for the epistles, all at once might be a better way of teaching. After all, they were letters that were designed to be read all the way through.

A good practice might be to move through a book chapter by chapter, and then every few chapters teach the entire book again.

This is an interesting question.

Thanks.

Alan Knox said...

Eric,

I'm not sure how I would teach an entire Gospel. We did teach the entire Sermon on the Mount before going back to teach it paragraph by paragraph.

We also taught the entire book of Ruth before studying it chapter by chapter.

It seems the books of the NT were meant to be read publicly... probably all at one time. I wonder if we're missing something by not reading and studying in that way.

-Alan

Eric said...

Alan,

I suppose there are some letters that could more easily be taught in segments, such as I Corinthians. However, when I think of a letter like Ephesians, where the first three chapters form the basis for the last three, it is a pity that we do not read and teach it all at once.

After we complete Matthew, which will take a while, I may preach through Ephesians. If this is the case, then I may first preach through the entire letter to stress the main themes.