Monday, March 22, 2010

Edwards Made Easy

Jonathan Edwards is one of the great theologians who I want to read. However, I find his writing style to often fly over my head. This is no criticism of him, but rather myself.

The general consensus amongst almost everyone is that Edwards is the greatest theologian ever to come out of this country (he lived before the USA came into existence, but I suppose that is an historical technicality). In light of his excellence, I need to find a way to read at least some of his writings.

There is now a way.

Owen Strachan and Doug Sweeney have written a series of five short books that focus on the life and writings of Jonathan Edwards. The series is entitled The Essential Edwards Collection.In the books, the authors both discuss Edwards and quote extensively from him. The great part is that they place his writings in the context of his life and quote him in a way that is easy to understand. Each book is only about 150 pages long. They are written in a format that is refreshing and enjoyable.

I've read the first of the five books and am about to dive into the next.

Right now you can purchase the five book set for about $30. If you haven't read Edwards before but want to learn from him, this would be a great resource for you.

2 comments:

Eddie Eddings said...

I am hoping they will come out with a pop-up version of Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.

Eric said...

Eddie,

Now it's not THAT easy.