Saturday, February 20, 2010

On Reading Blogs I Don't Agree With...

I am constantly adjusting my blogroll. The reason for this is that I'm torn between A) wanting to read many blogs and B) desiring to use my time wisely. The danger is that I'll end up only reading blogs I agree with.

When we only read people we agree with, we fall into the trap of only seeing a small part of the world. We are never challenged. We are left feeling comfortable. What good is this?

I would much rather read a variety of blogs that cause me to think about why I believe what I believe and why I live the way I live. If reading blogs causes me to be more biblical, then all the better.

If you read this blog regularly, you know the things I believe. You will get a healthy dose of bible, church, and family discussion. I lean toward the Reformed view of salvation and the Baptistic view of the church. As for family education, I'm an ardent supporter of homeschooling. Regarding politics, I'm an independent/conservative/Constitutionalist. Wouldn't it be dull to only read bloggers who believed exactly these same things?

So, I encourage you to read a wide range of blogs. Even read some folks who make you uncomfortable.

2 comments:

Aussie John said...

Eric,

(Loud applause) I couldn't agree more!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with that. Well said.