Saturday, February 6, 2016

Survived!

The race was a massive challenge, but I survived and did well. Praise be to God (who gave me the strength to persevere)!

Over the past two days I ran in a 5K, a 10K, a half-marathon, a 2.8 mile beach run, and a one mile "fun run." These races add up to 26.2 miles - exactly marathon distance. I love the format of the Critz-Tybee Run Fest, which takes place on Tybee Island (Savannah's beach).

The photo to the left is of my wife Alice and me. She, along with a couple of our kids, accompanied me to Tybee for last night's 5K. I figured that I would finish the race in about 22 minutes. As I approached the finish line I was shocked to see the clock say 19:26. That's the fastest 5K I've run in almost fifteen years.

While I'm thrilled about my 5K performance, I must admit that I "robbed Peter to pay Paul." The exertion from last night made today somewhat of a struggle (that combined with a wicked wind that never let up at Tybee). Despite these factors, I was able to complete all four races today. I finished the 10K in 47:19, the half-marathon in 1:48:18, the 2.8 mile beach run in 24:19, and the one mile run in 7:32. Those times were about what I expected when considering gradual fatigue and wind conditions.

I realize that physical fitness in general and racing in particular are not exceedingly important in the big scheme of things. However, God has given us bodies for which we are to be stewards. Racing motivates me to run, which in turn keeps me in good shape. That's ultimately why I do it. I hope you take part in some sort of physical exercise. You won't regret it!

The three photos below are the beginning of the 10K (I'm number 531 in the bright yellow hat), the middle of the 10K where I'm dying, and the finish of the 10K where the blessed end is in sight.





No comments: