Monday, November 2, 2015

Linking: Doubling Up At Church – Filling Our Week With Extra Programs Because Sunday Isn’t Meeting Our Spiritual Needs

A few years ago Kathleen Ward wrote an excellent, short post that happens to have a long title: Doubling Up At Church – Filling Our Week With Extra Programs Because Sunday Isn’t Meeting Our Spiritual Needs. I highly encourage you to read it.

Kathleen points out that many churches are becoming increasingly busy because the folks desire community but aren't getting it on Sundays. The shape of the Sunday ceremony, pews and all, keeps the body from truly being together. This in turn forces increased meetings during the week just to be able to fellowship.

The Sunday form is the problem.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Here is a list of 30 things people think are their needs so this is what they are looking for on Sunday morning:

http://pastors.com/30-things-people-want-from-church-services/

I want to leave a church service with a sense of awe which only comes from not knowing what God will do next.
I want to remember key details of the message the following Thursday.
I want the experience something supernatural.
I want my emotions moved.
I want to experience joy.
I want to be moved to tears.
I want to be inspired.
I want to be surprised. No more plug and play services.
I want to be challenged.
I want to be motivated.
I want to walk away with a sense of hope.
I want to feel energy from those on the platform.
I want to walk away with something applicable, a key point.
I want to meet some nice people.
I want content that engages my mind and makes me think.
I want to give my church my time and money. I really do.
I want a sense of community.
I want a musical experience that is engaging, powerful and Christ-centered.
I want to emulate the lives of those on the platform.
I want opportunities presented in the service to serve after the service.
I want to be convicted, to repent.
I want to laugh.
I want to celebrate what God is doing in my life and the lives of others.
I want excellence.
I want to open my Bible.
I want to see people of different ethnicities and ages.
I want you to know my time is important. Don’t waste it.
I want to feel like I am part of a movement.
I want to be changed. I want to walk out different than I walked in.
I want more than I get from a movie trailer.

It is amazing the "spiritual interest" that can be generated by this form of expertise only orientation driven from a platform to an audience.