Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 and Shaken American Foundations


My guess is that almost every American blogger, regardless of normal topics, either is posting or already has posted about the tenth anniversary of the events of September 11, 2001. Here's my addition.

Like many of you, I remember the attacks vividly. I was working as a school psychologist in a public school at the time. The ladies in the front office had somehow managed to quickly set up an old television just after the initial explosions in New York. I was watching the TV as the first tower fell. And then the second tower. What a nightmare it all was.

Can anything good come of something so horrible? My subjective answer is "Yes." In fact, even though I wish the terrorist attacks had never happened, my guess is that more than one good thing may have come from them. I do not write this flippantly. I still feel terrible for the tremendous loss of that day.

I'd like to take a moment to mention one good thing that I believe did result. The good thing is that, for many Americans at least, 9/11 shook the foundations of their belief that the United States is a country of absolute stability. Up until that day, many citizens of this country - including many Christians - thought that there were a few absolutes in life, and the USA was one of them.

My hope is that at least some of those folks began to realize the temporary and fragile nature of political countries. The USA is not permanent. It will eventually fall; even the Roman Empire did.

American Christians in particular must realize that there are few certainties in life (and I'm not referring to taxes). The most certain thing is God himself. When we die we all go before him either with or without a Mediator.

None of us has any reason to rely on the USA for stability. Placing our trust in this country is pointless. I sincerely hope that the horror of 9/11 caused both Christians and non-Christians to ask tough questions about what real stability in life is. What can they trust?

Although the attacks were something that we all wish could have been prevented, it is possible that some long-term good can come from them. If people's unshakable confidence in the USA is brought into question, then that is a good thing. They must look elsewhere. We can hope that they find the only true constant in this universe. If you don't happen to know who that is, send me an e-mail. Let's talk.

No comments: