Monday, November 8, 2010

When You Depart From the Bible, Anything Goes...

According to a CNN report, "Workers in Poland finished erecting the world's tallest statue of Jesus over the weekend, a 170-foot (52-meter) giant that towers over the countryside near Swiebodzin."

The priest in charge said, "This is the culmination of my life's work as a priest. I felt inspired to fulfill Jesus' will, and today I give thanks to him for allowing me to fulfill his will."

This is just another sad and dangerous example of what happens when we leave the biblical model behind in order to do our own thing. This may get me in trouble, but it strikes me that this statue has about as much biblical support as today's church buildings do (hint: zero).

4 comments:

Aussie John said...

Eric,
Such darkness of heart and mind causes me to sorrow for those involved.
One news source reports, "Swiebodzin residents welcome it. They believe it will put their town of 22,000 on the map for tourists and Roman Catholic pilgrims and bring in needed funds to restore the historic buildings in the tiny town center." An odor of indulgences here, methinks! Tetzel might again be moved to say,""As soon as a coin in the coffer rings, the soul from purgatory springs."

' “We’ll give it 20 years, maximum, then it’ll fall apart,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted one building expert as telling Polish media. (ANI)'

The Jesus I know is not of limited existence, nor is He a repository for bird droppings!

Eric said...

John,

This situation saddens me more than anything else. What a waste of resources! Even worse, what a complete misunderstanding of Christianity.

How sad it is to think that this is just one more place that people will waste their money is visiting. False teaching is such a deadly thing.

Anonymous said...

They forgot the lightning rod.

Eric said...

Micah,

I was thinking along those lines, too. Maybe this one will come down like that other one in Ohio. We can hope.