Tuesday, August 17, 2010

If You're Going to Have a Church Sign...

If your church decides to have a sign, please don't use it to trivialize great scriptural truths.

I took this photo in Savannah today with my phone. Yes, it is hot here in the summer - about 95 degrees most days. I suppose the person who put this message on the sign thought he would be cute with the weather. I get it: hell is hot and heaven is cool (both refreshing and hip, rad, the place to be).

Normally I have a sense of humor. In fact, I love puns. However, this sign, which is located on a busy road for everyone to see, seems to relegate heaven and hell to some sort of cartoonish level. As we know, fewer and fewer people believe in hell as the years pass.

The last thing we Christians need to be doing is in any way trivializing the great truths we hold so dear. I know for a fact that the above church believes that the bible is true and that the gospel of Jesus Christ is the only means of salvation. In light of that, why be cute about it?

For better or worse, our church also has a sign. This is what the two sides say right now:

Psalm 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God."

Philippians 1:21 "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

Life is short. Let's tell it like it is.

4 comments:

Bad Catholic said...

The funniest church sign ever (which illustrates your point) was at a Pentecostal Church in Thomasville, Georgia that said "ETERNITY: REGULAR OR EXTRA CRISPY."

Anonymous said...

Heaven is a cool place...and narrow is the road that leads there. (Matthew 7:14)

Eric said...

Bad Catholic,

I'm amazed at how pathetic church signs can get. Sigh.

Eric said...

Micah,

Amen!