Thursday, July 29, 2010

Still Processing...

Although I've been home for several days, I'm still processing our mission trip to Rochester, NY. I'll blog about it within the next week. For now just let me say that we had a terrific time, made some new friends, experienced wonderful Christian unity, and delighted in sharing the gospel.

While in NY I didn't have much time to read (nobody ever has extra time for anything on mission trips - especially sleep!). However, since it's about 1,000 miles from here to there, I read some on the road. My choice this time was D.A. Carson's Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus.

Carson takes a look at the scandal of the cross and empty tomb. Apart from the crucifixion and resurrection we have no hope, so these twin truths had better be, well, true.

Focusing on passages from Matthew, Romans, Revelation, and John (in that order), Carson discusses key issues related to Christ's death and resurrection. This text is less an apologetic in favor of these truths, and more an enjoyment of them. If you love Christ's work on the cross and His miraculous resurrection, then you will take delight in this book. Carson is a great writer and scholar. He is at his best here.

No comments: