Friday, June 25, 2010

"The Unquenchable Flame"

While at T4G, I received about 20 "free" books (they weren't really free because, of course, we had to pay to attend the conference). Anyway, one of the books was The Unquenchable Flame. Since I have read several books about the Reformation, I figured this one would end up sitting for months on my "books-needing-to-be-read" shelf.

Soon after the conference, however, I heard from a few people that this book is really good. I decided to give it a try. It turns out that those folks were right. This is the best introduction to the Reformation that I have ever read. The author, Michael Reeves, is quite simply a very good writer. The book moves along quickly and easily. It is ideal for anyone wanting a basic understanding of the Reformation.

To read what blogmeister Tim Challies thinks of it, click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric,

I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and it helped me better understand things that I thought I knew about the reformation, such as Luther's 95 Thesis. I didn't realize that at the time of him posting his thesis, Luther was actually still trying to be a good catholic, and it wasn't until a few years later that he had his "tower experience" which was his epiphany on justification by faith alone.

Eric said...

Micah,

That is an interesting point about Luther. I think it shows that he wasn't some sort of radical schismatic. He really did desire to remain in the church until he discovered that Rome would not change. Even today, Rome never really changes.

I really appreciated the first chapter of the book that describes life prior to the Reformation.

Additionally, it is just well written. History can be boring or exciting. This author makes it exciting.