Saturday, April 10, 2010

Do You Ever Feel This Way About Church?

Most of us love the church. We love the community of followers of the Lord Jesus Christ. We desire that the church glorify God in all it does.

However, many of us also struggle with how the church should function. Include me in this. If you read this blog regularly, you know that I am going through a time of transition in how I think about the church. You may be in this situation as well.

Although this is uncomfortable (what change isn't?), I believe it is also healthy. The reason is that I desire that what I think about the church and how I act as part of the church come more in line with scriptural teachings.

One problem we face in this country is that so few people actually give thought to what the church ought to be and ought to do. Many people never question the way the church operates, but instead simply "go to church" and do what they have been told to do.

I suggest that we have a holy discontentment with the church. I'm not suggesting that we become a source of complaining or division. I am suggesting that we work to bring our own lives and the life of our church more in line with scripture.

This can be a difficult task. I've read stories of people trying to do this, but being told to basically "knock it off" by their pastors or others in leadership positions. Despite this, I encourage you to ask questions and keep asking them. Pursue holiness and stir up one another to love and good works.

In light of our indwelling sin, I highly doubt that any of us will ever think about or act like the church in a perfect manner. Because of this, there is always room for improvement (biblical fidelity). Let's strive for it.

2 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Unfortunately, most will find that the response to their inquisitiveness will be, "You're being divisive; stop it or leave."

Eric said...

Jeff,

I agree. Those in power do not easily relinquish it.