Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Self-Focused Verse Searches

As I was perusing BibleGateway.com, I came across a link entitled The 100
most-read Bible verses at BibleGateway.com
. I was curious, so I took a look.

What I found disturbed me. The reason: the top four verses are all self-focused. What I mean is that these four verses (which are great in context) are often pulled out of context to show what God can do for us. This implies to me that Christians are spending too much time thinking about God's gifts, and not enough time thinking about the glory of God Himself.

The top four verses are John 3:16, Jeremiah 29:11, Romans 8:28, and Philippians 4:13.

Sigh.

God certainly does much good for us as His children. It seems that we would want to spend more time thinking about His greatness, splendor, and majesty than we would the things He can do for us.

This is just a symptom of the man-centered, self-focused society in which we live. It even affects Christians as they search for bible verses.

No comments: