Friday, October 4, 2013

Something Different This Thanksgiving

We usually have a big family gathering on Thanksgiving. My parents live here in Savannah. My sister and her family do as well. We do many of the usual things on Thanksgiving: talk, eat, talk, eat, watch football, talk, nap, talk, eat, and talk. It's pretty typical stuff.

This year we've decided to do something different for our family gathering. Instead of the norm described above, this year's will have more planning. While we usually sit wherever we want, this year the seating will be in rows. My daughter, who's good with computers, will put together a bulletin of sorts to tell us what's going to happen when. As we sit quietly, my mother will welcome us all to my parents' home. My wife Alice, who is talented musically, will then lead us all in singing some songs. Next, we'll take up an offering to cover the utility costs of our time together. Finally, I will speak for about thirty minutes about whatever I'm led to say. Afterward, we'll talk for five or ten minutes. Then we'll all hurry back to our own homes to eat.

I'm not sure whether or not we'll like this new idea for a family get-together on Thanksgiving. I guess we'll just see what happens.