Friday, January 27, 2012

No Time for Organic Church

Life is terribly ironic sometimes.

Over the past couple of years, God has graciously opened my eyes to his plan for a vibrant yet simple church. Of course, this is just the church we see in scripture. It is a church that is a united family. It is a body and a bride. It is organic.

This is the type of church life that I deeply desire to be a part of. I know many other Christians have a similar desire (probably you as well if you bother to read this blog). While some fellow believers struggle to find others who want this sort of church life, God has blessed Alice and me with wonderful friends who hold to similar beliefs about the church.

The irony is that I have no time for organic church. When I resigned from the professional pastorate, I prayed that God would provide me with a regular job. He graciously did that here in Savannah at JCB. However, for the past few months I've been working about 65 hours per week. The job is in a warehouse and requires me to be on my feet for most of the day. Because of this, I'm tired most of the time. I don't mean this to be a complaint; rather, these are the reasons that I have little time for church life.

Many Christians cannot find organic fellowship. I've got the friends, but don't have the time.

Because of this, our Sunday gatherings are extremely special to me. This is about the only time I get to see my friends. This is not by choice. It is a consequence of schedule. When we get together on Sundays, I find the time to be a wonderful, refreshing time of fellowship. I wish this could happen throughout the week, but right now that is not a possibility.

For most of the week I look forward to Sunday. Of course, this week I will probably have to work on Sunday so I may not be able to make it to fellowship. That's going to hurt.

You may be in some sort of life situation that is keeping you from what you hope for as far as church is concerned. I want to encourage you. God's grace is immense. He knows our hearts. He will also provide for fellowship in ways we don't often expect or understand. However, as I'm learning, God's timing is often far different from ours.

As I long for more time with my church family, God gives himself to me all the time no matter what the situation. I believe God at times restricts our church involvement so that we are forced to lean more fully on him. This is our current situation.

Organic church life will have to wait. For now, Sundays will have to be emphasized more than I would like.

Christ is sufficient. He will carry us through this time.

8 comments:

Marshall said...

brother Eric, 65 hours per week away from family (for money) flies in the face of our Father's ideal for man He formed, and so we pray that you may not be always bound by resignation to your situation. Allowing a workplace to manage our time has become a pattern of this world, though it is not so in Christ. Glad that you count fellowship together precious, while there is still a more excellent way.

Aussie John said...

Eric,

"65 hours per week"! What a God given opportunity to actually practice what is learned and taught on Sunday!

So-called "organic church", as I understand it, is a 24 hours per day, seven days per week, life.

Seth said...

Eric,
I'd encourage you to persevere through your difficult work situation! I had a similar experience, although just for this week. My wife and I had a short term foster care placement of 2 young boys. We were super exhausted all week long. Then last night we met with our home church group, and even though it was a very short time period, it was very special. Something I was looking forward to all week as well. It's refreshing just being with other Christians, even for a couple hours, people who the Holy Spirit indwells.

Alan Knox said...

Eric,

We give what we can, when we can, right? The exciting thing to me is that you want to share your life with others... and I know you will when your schedule loosens up a little.

So many only interact with other Christians on Sunday (if you can call it interacting), and they're happy with that limited involvement in each other's lives.

-Alan

Eric said...

Marshall,

I agree that my situation is not ideal. I'll be thrilled when I can work less. Right now, however, this is the only job I have. I trust the Lord that he will bring us through this so that I will be able to enjoy more time with family and friends.

Eric said...

John,

My job certainly is a mission field. That's the great part. The struggle is not being able to be with the church very much. Very few Christians work where I work, and my job is not conducive to much in-depth conversation. I'd like less time at work so I could edify and be edified by my brothers and sisters.

Eric said...

Seth,

Thanks for the encouragement. It is tough to be at work so much. It makes the time with friends and family very sweet. I'm looking forward to tomorrow. It looks like I'll only have to work from 6AM - 10AM. Then I'll be able to head to fellowship. Yay!

I admire you for being foster parents. What a wonderful ministry.

Eric said...

Alan,

Thanks. Maybe this is a season for me to learn just how valuable time is with family and church family. I long for more time in fellowship, but I don't want to have a complaining spirit about it. God will act in his perfect timing.