Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Nice Embed Function

The more time I spend at BibleGateway.com, the more I like it.

One recent addition to this site has made it even more useful. The new Embed Passage function allows for easy posting of the biblical text straight into blogs, etc. The best part for me is that I can now embed the original languages into this blog (before I go any farther I feel I must admit that my knowledge of N.T. Greek is adequate, but my knowledge of the original Hebrew is, well, not good/poor/terrible).

The only down side to this is that only some English translations can be embedded. I assume this is for copyright reasons.

Nevertheless - first I'll embed Genesis 1:1 in Hebrew and then several English translations. Then I'll embed John 1:1 in Greek followed by several English translations.

1 בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃ (בראשית 1:1, The Westminster Leningrad Codex)

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1, New King James Version)

1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1, King James Version)

1In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth -- (Genesis 1:1, Young's Literal Translation)

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1, American Standard Version)



1εν αρχη ην ο λογος και ο λογος ην προς τον θεον και θεος ην ο λογος

(ΚΑΤΑ ΙΩΑΝΝΗΝ 1:1, 1550 Stephanus New Testament)

1εν αρχη ην ο λογος και ο λογος ην προς τον θεον και θεος ην ο λογος

(ΚΑΤΑ ΙΩΑΝΝΗΝ 1:1, 1881 Westcott-Hort New Testament)

1εν αρχη ην ο λογος και ο λογος ην προς τον θεον και θεος ην ο λογος

(ΚΑΤΑ ΙΩΑΝΝΗΝ 1:1, 1894 Scrivener New Testament)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1, New King James Version)

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1, King James Version)

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God; (John 1:1, Young's Literal Translation)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1, American Standard Version)

No comments: