Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First Impressions of Kenya

A few weeks ago I mentioned that my parents are not wasting their lives - or retirements. Instead they are teaching at Rift Valley Academy in Kenya for the next year (the photo to the left is of my parents, but it was taken in Alaska).

My parents have a blog where they will be updating their situation and discussing what it is like to live and serve in a place that is so different from the USA. My mother recently blogged about their first impressions of living overseas. The poverty in Kenya stands out. My mother wrote,"Kenya is nearing the end of the rainy season but there has been practically none! Along the drive from Nairobi to Kijabe we could see where people had attempted to plant gardens wherever possible (even in what we would call ditches along the road). But to no avail. It was too dry for most crops (mainly corn and potatoes) to grow at all."

If you are interested in reading more about their adventures overseas, click here.

No comments: