Friday, July 24, 2009

What Bible are You Using for Personal Devotions?

This is another post for the sake of curiosity.

Today I finally finished reading all the way through (not in order) my ESV Reformation Study Bible. I enjoyed my time in this bible. The ESV is my personal preference as far as versions go, and the study notes were solid. Although I don't necessarily agree with all the notes in this particular bible, I still appreciate the scholarly nature of the notes.

Now it is time to move on to another bible for personal devotions. I realize that I don't have to do this, but I find that switching versions keeps things from getting stale (my fault - not a fault of the scriptures).

Tomorrow I will begin studying through the International Standard Version (ISV) New Testament. I have been looking forward to this for some time. This is a new translation rather than a revision. To read more about the ISV, click here to visit the features page.

I initially heard about the ISV while in seminary. One of my professors, Dr. David Alan Black, served on the translation committee of the ISV. Just knowing Dr. Black's excellence in the original Greek text of the NT gives me great confidence in the accuracy of the ISV.

To read more about Dr. Black's involvement in the ISV, click here. To visit Dr. Black's personal website, click here.

No comments: