Monday, April 3, 2017

Fellowship on the Run


The more I run and race, the more I realize that what I enjoy most is the fellowship. About one week ago I ran in the Skidaway Island Marathon, in suburban Savannah. This was my fourth lifetime marathon (marathon distance is always 26.2 miles). I'm very happy to say that this was the best of the four - not fastest, but best. I wasn't in much pain, and the experience was fabulous. The primary reason for this was the fellowship that I experienced pre-race, during the race, and post-race. The photos I've included tell the story. The first two are of me hanging with friends before the race. The third and fourth photos were taken around mile seven. The fourth picture is key because it shows me running beside Christine, who was a 3 hour, 30 minute pacer. It was her job to finish in that time; I just went along for the ride. We talked for much of the race. Around mile 18 I realized that all the other runners in our group had fallen off the pace. Therefore, we just kept talking. It was great because it helped me keep my mind off the discomfort while hitting the wall just after mile 20. I ended up finishing, as you can see in the following two photos, in 3 hours, 27 minutes.

After the race, I was able to spend more time with friends I've made in the Savannah running community. The last photo is the best. My biggest supporter in this endeavor is my wife, Alice. A runner herself, Alice spent this morning assisting me. She was there at mile 19 to hand me some Gatorade and GU. She was also there at the finish. There is a reason she is known, at least to our family, as Awesome Alice.

A special thanks to Endurance Race Services for yet again putting on a superb race!

My hope for you is that you combine fellowship with activities that you enjoy. Maybe you don't like to run. That's fine. What do you like to do? Whatever that is, try to make it a time of community.















No comments: